Chris Talbot aka @kop316 plays a huge part in getting MMS support on modern mobile Linux distributions. We sit down virtually and talk about the journey he went through to make this possible, besides lots of other topics. At one point some of us hear for the first time what visual voice mail is all about.
Featuring @craftyguy, @z3ntu, @ollieparanoid, @MartijnBraam, @kop316 (in order of appearance).
Referenced in this episode:
- mmsd!22: @craftyguy replaces gweb/gresolv with libsoup/c-ares
- @anteater's mms-stack page that @ollieparanoid was thinking of regarding prior research
- only 11 months ago: @kop316 experimenting with fuzzy7k's purple-mm-sms plugin
- mmsd!52: @jpsamaroo adding mmsctl, which is being used by Sxmo
- mmsd support added to Phosh in chatty!768, one of multiple MRs. In fact just as we release this podcast episode, Chatty 5.0~beta was released as the first version with integrated MMS support!
- pmaports!2194: @BobbyTheBuilder's MMS testing ground for postmarketOS
Fact check: in 2015, MMS auto-delivery was disabled in german telekom network to reduce fallout from the android stagefright security hole. Instead of delivering MMS directly, a link was sent via SMS where users could open the link in a browser (news article). So it wasn't completely unusable, but still quite the impact for people who actually used MMS.
- Chris rockin' with Bah Ram You in 2015: video
- Interview with project lead @a-wai in PEBKAC S01E01
How to reach you / contribute?
Editing by: @MartijnBraam, Music by: The Passion HiFi